21. Has the customer's staff or team been trained to use and perform standard troubleshooting on their new workstations, or other professional computing machinery? It's always a good idea to ask office managers or employees on-site if they understand their new computers and software, and if they have any questions about any work you may have performed or how to operate anything new in the office. This will allow them to troubleshoot minor issues, such as reconnecting printers, or restarting computers, and save them money and frustration over a service call. Sometimes, the IT technician is the best point of contact for keeping a recently upgraded office running smoothly.
21 Questions Every Computer Tech Should Ask
1. Does the customer have enough memory? Upgrading RAM is an excellent way to improve performance and fix issues with more robust software requirements. Are they running Windows 10 with only 4Gb of RAM memory? Photoshop with 2Gb of RAM? This is not enough memory for modern system uses. Please make sure the customer has enough memory and if they don’t, explain to them what a difference in performance, usability, time savings and overall computing satisfaction it can make for such a low nominal cost. A good way to explain is: “a memory upgrade can make your computer feel 3 years newer."
2. Does the customer have an on-site backup? If they do, do they use image backups? Explain the benefits over a simple data backup. Is the backup working? Do they test it? Do they have a disaster recovery plan (very important for businesses)? Ask questions to understand how they use their systems, and work to help implement more effective solutions if available.
3. Does the customer use an off-site, online backup? If they do, are they sure it is set up properly? Many programs are not included in the default setup of these programs. It is worth hiring us to make sure. If they do have an online backup, do they also have an on-site backup? Explain the benefits and disadvantages of each method and why they are both necessary. For example: online backups are slow, but on-site backups will not help you in a disaster like theft or fire.
4. Is the customer still using a standard hard drive? SSD hard drive upgrades are one of the best upgrades to recommend. Explain to the customer that if they spend over an hour a day on their computer they will reap substantial benefits including time savings, as well as increased overall computing satisfaction.
5. Does the customer utilize calendar and contact sharing. Do they need or want it? Customers don’t have to buy an exchange server. We can do it with WorkGroupShare, and the software is free.
6. Is it time for them to buy or replace their server? This is an imperative question for businesses especially, as upgraded hardware will offer more performance and compatibility, as well as decrease maintenance costs in the future.
7. Is it time for them to replace their laptop or desktop? We will help them find the lowest price in the country for a laptop that is perfect for them, and then help set it up and transfer all of their data and programs.
8. Is it time for them to buy a new computer? We build amazing custom systems from $599 to $10,000. Water cooling is awesome! We make the best gaming systems.
9. Does the customer usually pay for ALL software, all the time? Don’t renew your antivirus or pay for any software or hardware. When consulting with the customer, we can often provide a free solution for software and save big money on hardware. Advice from experienced professionals is free.
10. Would they like their computers cleaned? This will save potential costly hardware repairs and make their computer run faster and quieter.
11. Would they like the office to contact them via phone or email to schedule yearly tuneups and cleanings? Be sure to ask! Computers are like cars, they need to be tuned up and cleaned once a year, and offering this service at the time of an appointment offers convenience to keep the customer's systems running well.
12. Is the customer using an outdated operating system, or one that should be updated for their software and work requirements? Explain how we perform this process, and highly recommend upgrading from Vista, which is slow and buggy, to Windows 7, which is compatible with most hardware and is very stable. Recommend updates to Windows 10 for newer UEFI hardware, and for Apple computers please recommend the newest OS their system can handle, legacy software requirements aside.
13. Are they paying for static IP addresses? If so, they can stop and save big money and we can set up DynDNS for them. They just need a router that supports DynDNS (which many already have), and a little bit of time to configure.
14. Do they want to share files or printers? We can set that up, and this will save the customer time and workflow holdups in the future.
15. Do they want to watch streaming internet on their TV with an Apple TV or Roku? They can cancel their cable or satellite and save money, or just have more options like Netflix, Pandora, Amazon Streaming and Hulu.
16. Have they been hacked, or had malware infections in the past? It is a good idea to recommend a firewall to protect their computer, especially if their computers are frequently attacked or diagnosed with a virus problem. Comodo Firewall is a great free option; just remember to turn off any advertiser options when installing, and configure it for the best performance and security.
17. How is the customer’s wireless range? Is their router old, and a new one will offer superior performance and capability? Do they have to reset it often to maintain functionality? Installing a new wireless router and configuring it properly will improve a customer's experience and happiness with their computer systems.
18. Do they need a new website, or a website remodel or update? We build and update WordPress, PHP, ColdFusion and custom database and shopping cart websites starting at $500.
19. Do they have a business, and need Search Engine or Social Media Optimization? Do they have a custom website? We can get them to the first page of Google and all of the other search engines. Having a great SEO marketing service increases business and will give the best ROI (return on investment) of any type of marketing.
20. When was the last time they performed a network audit of all of their equipment, software, services packs, etc.? It can be performed with free software from open-audit.org, and a little guidance from our expert technicians.